If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Balcom, D., Call, E., & Pearlman, D. N. (2000). Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing treatment of internalized shame. Traumatology, 6(2), 69–83.
Cole, B. P., & Davidson, M. M. (2019). Exploring men’s perceptions about male depression. Psychology of Men & Masculinities, 20(4), 459–466.
Dyer, K. F. W., Dorahy, M. J., Corry, M., Black, R., Matheson, L., Coles, H., Curran, D., Seager, L., & Middleton, W. (2017). Comparing shame in clinical and nonclinical populations: Preliminary findings. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 9(2), 173–180.
Eterović, M. (2020). Recognizing the role of defensive processes in empirical assessment of shame. Psychoanalytic Psychology. Advance online publication.
Garcia, A. F., Acosta, M., Pirani, S., Edwards, D., & Osman, A. (2017). Factor structure, factorial invariance, and validity of the Multidimensional Shame-Related Response Inventory-21 (MSRI-21). Journal of Counseling Psychology, 64(2), 233–246.
Gebhard, K. T., Cattaneo, L. B., Tangney, J. P., Hargrove, S., & Shor, R. (2019). Threatened-masculinity shame-related responses among straight men: Measurement and relationship to aggression. Psychology of Men & Masculinities, 20(3), 429–444.
Johnson, A. (2006). Healing shame. The Humanistic Psychologist, 34(3), 223–242.
Kim, S., Thibodeau, R., & Jorgensen, R. S. (2011). Shame, guilt, and depressive symptoms: A meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 137(1), 68–96.
Kong, J., & Martire, L. M. (2019). Parental childhood maltreatment and the later-life relationship with parents. Psychology and Aging, 34(7), 900–911.
Maio, G. R., Thomas, G., Fincham, F. D., & Carnelley, K. B. (2008). Unraveling the role of forgiveness in family relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94(2), 307–319.
Mereish, E. H., & Poteat, V. P. (2015). A relational model of sexual minority mental and physical health: The negative effects of shame on relationships, loneliness, and health. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 62(3), 425–437.
Reilly, E. D., Rochlen, A. B., & Awad, G. H. (2014). Men’s self-compassion and self-esteem: The moderating roles of shame and masculine norm adherence. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 15(1), 22–28.
Sherman, N. (2014). Recovering lost goodness: Shame, guilt, and self-empathy. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 31(2), 217–235.
Young, I. F., Razavi, P., Cohen, T. R., Yang, Q., Alabèrnia-Segura, M., & Sullivan, D. (2019). A multidimensional approach to the relationship between individualism-collectivism and guilt and shame. Emotion. Advance online publication.
- American Psychological Association, "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision", American Psychiatric Association: Virginia, 2000.
- Barrett, MD, James. Depression Management Tool Kit. Depression & Primary Care, 2009, p . 5-44.
- Burke, Sara E.; Wang, Katie; Dovidio, John F. Witnessing Disclosure of Depression: Gender and Attachment Avoidance Moderate Interpersonal Evaluations. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology. Jun2014, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p536-559. 24p. DOI: 10.1521/jscp.2014.33.6.536.
- Cullen, Murray, & Robert E. Freeman-Longo, PhD, Men & Anger: A Relapse Prevention Guide to Understanding and Managing Your Anger, Safer Society Press: Brandon, 1997.
- Dubenetzky, Salome. Differential Diagnosis of Anxiety Disorders. Annals of Psychotherapy & Integrative Health. Summer2013, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p40-46. 7p. 2 Color Photographs, 3 Illustrations.
- Gifford, Elizabeth V.; Tavakoli, Sara; Wang, Ruey; Hagedorn, Hildi J.; Hamlett-Berry, Kim W. Tobacco dependence diagnosis and treatment in Veterans Health Administration residential substance use disorder treatment programs. Addiction. Jun2013, Vol. 108 Issue 6, p1127-1135. 9p. 4 Charts. DOI: 10.1111/add.12105.
- Giosan, Cezar; Cobeanu, Oana; Mogoase, Cristina; Muresan, Vlad; Malta, Loretta S.; Wyka, Katarzyna; Szentagotai, Aurora. Evolutionary cognitive therapy versus standard cognitive therapy for depression: a protocol for a blinded, randomized, superiority clinical trial. Trials. 2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1-25. 25p. 1 Diagram. DOI: 10.1186/1745-6215-15-83.
- Hatton, Corrine, Valente, Sharon, Rink, Alice, & Edwin Shneidman, PhD, Suicide: Assessment and Intervention, Appleton-Century-Crofts: New York, 1997.
- Hipple, John, & Peter Cimbolic, PhD, The Counselor and Suicidal Crisis: Diagnosis and Intervention, Thomas Books, Inc.: Springfield, 1999.
- Hirschfeld, Robert, & Susan Meltsner. PhD, When the Blues Won't Go Away: New Approaches to Dysthymic Disorder and Other Forms of Chronic Low-Grade Depression., Philip Lief Group, Inc.: New York. 1998.
- Koerner, Naomi; Antony, Martin; Young, Lisa; McCabe, Randi. Changes in Beliefs about the Social Competence of Self and Others Following Group Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment. Cognitive Therapy & Research. Apr2013, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p256-265. 10p. 3 Charts. DOI: 10.1007/s10608-012-9472-5.
- Kolk, Bessel; Najavits, Lisa M. Interview: What is PTSD Really? Surprises, Twists of History, and the Politics of Diagnosis and Treatment. Journal of Clinical Psychology. May2013, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p516-522. 7p. DOI: 10.1002/jclp.21992.
- Landes, Sara J. The Case: Treating Jared Through Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Journal of Clinical Psychology. May2013, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p488-489. 2p. DOI: 10.1002/jclp.21984.
- Leenaars, Antoon, Maltsberger, John T., & Robert A. Neimeyer, PhD, Treatment of Suicidal People, Taylor & Francis: London, 1998.
- Maeda, Uta; Shen, Biing-Jiun; Schwarz, Ernst; Farrell, Kristen; Mallon, Stephen. Self-Efficacy Mediates the Associations of Social Support and Depression with Treatment Adherence in Heart Failure Patients. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. Mar2013, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p88-96. 9p. 2 Diagrams, 2 Charts. DOI: 10.1007/s12529-011-9215-0.
- Markianos, Manolis; Tripodianakis, John; Istikoglou, Christos; Rouvali, Olga; Christopoulos, Markos; Papageorgopoulos, Pavlos; Seretis, Andreas; Suicide attempt by jumping: A study of gonadal axis hormones in male suicide attempters versus men who fell by accident; Psychiatry Research, November 2009, Vol 170 Issue 1, p82
- Matos, Marcela; Pinto-Gouveia, José. Shamed by a Parent or by Others: The Role of Attachment in Shame Memories Relation to Depression. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p217-244. 28p.
- "Nilsen, Toril; Eisemann, Martin; Kvernmo, Siv, Predictors and moderators of outcome in child and adolescent anxiety and
depression: a systematic review of psychological treatment studies.European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. Feb2013, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p69-87."
- Parke, Ross D., & Armin A. Brott, PhD, Throwaway Dads: The Myths and Barriers That Keep Men from Being the Fathers They Want to Be, Houghton Mifflin Company: New York, 1999.
- Rockett, Ian R. H.; Yinjuan Lian; Stack, Steven; Ducatman, Alan M.; Shuhui Wang; Discrepant comorbidity between minority and white suicides: a national multiple cause-of-death analysis; BMC Psychiatry, 2009, Vol 9
- Rojas, Yerko; Stenberg, Sten-Åke; Early life circumstances and male suicide – A 30-year follow-up of a Stockholm cohort born in 1953, Social Science & Medicine, February 2010, Vol 70 Issue 3, p420
- Shapero, Benjamin G.; Black, Shimrit K.; Liu, Richard T.; Klugman, Joshua; Bender, Rachel E.; Abramson, Lyn Y.; Alloy, Lauren B. Stressful Life Events and Depression Symptoms: The Effect of Childhood Emotional Abuse on Stress Reactivity. Journal of Clinical Psychology. Mar2014, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p209-223. 15p. 2 Charts. DOI: 10.1002/jclp.22011
- Sheehy, Gail, PhD, Understanding Men's Passages: Discovering the New Map of Men's Lives, Random House: New York, 1998.
- Shneidman, Edwin, PhD, The Suicidal Mind, Oxford University Press: New York, 1997.
- "Symptoms and Diagnosis of Mood Disorders", Depression & Anxiety (Medletter), Jan2005, p4-12, 9p.
- Thapar, A., Collishaw, S., Pine, D. S., & Thapar, A. K. (2012). Depression in adolescence. Lancet (London, England), 379(9820), 1056–1067. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60871-4.
- Wegener, Ingo; Alfter, Susanne; Geiser, Franziska; Liedtke, Reinhard; Conrad, Rupert, "Schema Change Without Schema Therapy: The Role of Early Maladaptive Schemata for a Successful Treatment of Major Depression", Psychiatry: Interpersonal & Biological Processes. Spring 2013, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p1-17. 17p. DOI: 10.1521/psyc.2013.76.1.1.
- Witkin, Georgia, MA, The Male Stress Survival Guide, NewMarket Press: New York, 2002.