If you would like additional information on this topic,
below are OPTIONAL books to consider buying for your personal library...
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Basak, C., Qin, S., & O'Connell, M. A. (2020). Differential effects of cognitive training modules in healthy aging and mild cognitive impairment: A comprehensive meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Psychology and Aging, 35(2), 220–249.
Buchanan, J. A., Christenson, A. M., Ostrom, C., & Hofman, N. (2007). Non-pharmacological interventions for aggression in persons with dementia: A review of the literature. The Behavior Analyst Today, 8(4), 413–425.
Carling, M. A. (2003). Review of Counseling the Alzheimer's caregiver: A resource for healthcare professionals [Review of the book Counseling the alzheimer's caregiver: A resource for healthcare professionals, by M. S. Mittelman, C. Epstein & A. Pierzchala]. Families, Systems, & Health, 21(4), 435–437.
De Lucia, N., Grossi, D., Milan, G., & Trojano, L. (2020). The closing-in phenomenon in constructional tasks in dementia and mild cognitive impairment. Neuropsychology, 34(2), 168–175.
Di Nuovo, S., De Beni, R., Borella, E., Marková, H., Laczó, J., & Vyhnálek, M. (2020). Cognitive impairment in old age: Is the shift from healthy to pathological aging responsive to prevention? European Psychologist, 25(3), 174–185.
Gather, J., & Vollmann, J. (2015). How to decide? Evaluating the will of a person with dementia in the light of current behavior, advance directive and legal representatives’ perspectives. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 28(1), 17–20.
Goodkind, M. S., Sturm, V. E., Ascher, E. A., Shdo, S. M., Miller, B. L., Rankin, K. P., & Levenson, R. W. (2015). Emotion recognition in frontotemporal dementia and Alzheimer’s disease: A new film-based assessment. Emotion, 15(4), 416–427.
Hayden, L. J., Glynn, S. M., Hahn, T. J., Randall, F., & Randolph, E. (2012). The use of Internet technology for psychoeducation and support with dementia caregivers. Psychological Services, 9(2), 215–218.
Kuemmel, A., Haberstroh, J., & Pantel, J. (2014). CODEM instrument: Developing a tool to assess communication behavior in dementia. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 27(1), 23–31.
Mavandadi, S., Wright, E. M., Graydon, M. M., Oslin, D. W., & Wray, L. O. (2017). A randomized pilot trial of a telephone-based collaborative care management program for caregivers of individuals with dementia. Psychological Services, 14(1), 102–111.
McDowd, J., Hoffman, L., Rozek, E., Lyons, K. E., Pahwa, R., Burns, J., & Kemper, S. (2011). Understanding verbal fluency in healthy aging, Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's disease. Neuropsychology, 25(2), 210–225.
Moreau, N., Rauzy, S., Viallet, F., & Champagne-Lavau, M. (2016). Theory of mind in Alzheimer disease: Evidence of authentic impairment during social interaction. Neuropsychology, 30(3), 312–321.
Robitaille, A., Garcia, L., & McIntosh, C. (2015). Joint trajectories of cognitive functioning and challenging behavior for persons living with dementia in long-term care. Psychology and Aging, 30(3), 712–726.
Schall, A., Haberstroh, J., & Pantel, J. (2015). Time series analysis of individual music therapy in dementia: Effects on communication behavior and emotional well-being. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 28(3), 113–122.
Schulz, R., Belle, S. H., Czaja, S. J., Gitlin, L. N., Wisniewski, S. R., & Ory, M. G. (2003). Introduction to the special section on Resources for Enhancing Alzheimer's Caregiver Health (REACH). Psychology and Aging, 18(3), 357–360.
Smith, G. E. (2016). Healthy cognitive aging and dementia prevention. American Psychologist, 71(4), 268–275.
Trujillo, M. A., Perrin, P. B., Panyavin, I., Peralta, S. V., Stolfi, M. E., Morelli, E., & Arango-Lasprilla, J. C. (2016). Mediation of family dynamics, personal strengths, and mental health in dementia caregivers. Journal of Latina/o Psychology, 4(1), 1–17.
Wiedl, K. H., Schöttke, H., & Garcia, M. D. C. (2001). Dynamic assessment of cognitive rehabilitation potential in schizophrenic persons and in elderly persons with and without dementia. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 17(2), 112–119.
Wilson, R. S., Barnes, L. L., Rajan, K. B., Boyle, P. A., Sytsma, J., Weuve, J., & Evans, D. A. (2018). Antecedents and consequences of unawareness of memory impairment in dementia. Neuropsychology, 32(8), 931–940.
Wirth, M., Isaacowitz, D. M., & Kunzmann, U. (2017). Visual attention and emotional reactions to negative stimuli: The role of age and cognitive reappraisal. Psychology and Aging, 32(6), 543–556.
- Alzheimer’s Association. 2018 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimers Dement 2018;14(3):367-429.
- Bird, Michael; Llewellyn-Jones, Robert H.; Korten, Ailsa; An evaluation of the effectiveness of a case-specific approach to challenging behaviour associated with dementia; Aging & Mental Health; Jan. 2009; Vol. 13; Issue 1; p 73-82
- Eckstein, Donna; Eckstein, Sarah; Eckstein, Daniel. Creating Respect in Couples: The Couple’s Respect Questionnaire (CRQ). Family Journal. Jan2014, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p98-104. 7p. DOI: 10.1177/1066480713505062.
- Glenner, Joy A.; Stehman, Jean M.; Davagnino, Judith; Galante, Margaret J.; Green, Martha L.; "When Your Loved One Has Dementia: A Simple Guide for Caregivers"; John Hopkins University Press.; Baltimore, MD.; 2005.
- Gottlieb, B. H.; Johnson, J.; Respite programs for caregivers of persons with dementia: a review with practice implications; Aging & Mental Health; May2000; Vol. 4 Issue 2
- Hopper, Tammy; Bourgeois, Michelle; Pimentel, Jane; Qualls, Constance Dean; Hickey, Ellen; Frymark, Tobi; Schooling, Tracy. An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on Cognitive Interventions for Individuals With Dementia. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. Feb2013, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p126-145. 20p. 3 Charts. DOI: 10.1044/1058-0360(2012/11-0137).
- Keough, Jeremy; Huebner, Ruth A.; Treating Dementia: The Complementing Team Approach of Occupational Therapy and Psychology; Journal of Psychology; Jul2000; Vol. 134 Issue 4
- Kydd, Angela; Touhy, Theris; Newman, David; Fagerberg, Ingegerd; Engstrom, Gabriella. Attitudes towards caring for older people in Scotland, Sweden and the United States. Nursing Older People. Mar2014, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p33-40. 8p.
- Koenig Coste, Joanne.; "Learning to Speak Alzheimer’s: A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease"; Houghton Mifflin.; New York, NY.; 2003.
- Lou, Meei-Fang; The use of music to decrease agitated behavior of the demented elderly: the state of the science; Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences; Jun2001; Vol. 15 Issue 2
- McCallion, Philip; Toseland, Ronald W.; Gerber, Todd; Banks, Steven; Increasing the Use of Formal Services by Caregivers of People with Dementia; Social Work; Jul2004; Vol. 49 Issue 3
- Meza-de-Luna, M. E.; Romero-Zepeda, H. Trames: Areas of Conflict in the Intimte Couple. A Journal of the Humanities & Social Sciences. 2013, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p87-100. 14p. 1 Diagram. DOI: 10.3176/tr.2013.1.04.
- Min, Lillian; Wenger, Neil; Walling, Anne M.; Blaum, Caroline; Cigolle, Christine; Ganz, David A.; Reuben, David; Shekelle, Paul; Roth, Carol; Kerr, Eve A. When Comorbidity, Aging, and Complexity of Primary Care Meet: Development and Validation of the Geriatric CompleXity of Care Index. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. Apr2013, Vol. 61 Issue 4, p542-550. 9p. 1 Diagram, 3 Charts. DOI: 10.1111/jgs.12160.
- Mitrani, V.B.; Czaja, S. J.; Family-based therapy for dementia caregivers: clinical observations; Aging & Mental Health, Aug2000; Vol. 4 Issue 3
- Neufeld, A.; Harrison, M.J.; Unfulfilled expectations and negative interactions: nonsupport in the relationships of women caregivers; Journal of Advanced Nursing; Feb2003; Vol. 41 Issue 4
-Perissutti, Christina; Barraca, Jorge. Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy vs. Traditional Behavioral Couple Therapy: A theoretical review of the differential effectiveness. Clinica y Salud. mar2013, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p11-18. 8p. 1 Chart. DOI: 10.5093/c12013a2.
- Pocnet, Cornelia; Rossier, Jérôme; Antonietti, Jean-Philippe; Gunten, Armin. Personality traits and behavioral and psychological symptoms in patients at an early stage of Alzheimer's disease. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. Mar2013, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p276-283. 8p. 2 Charts, 2 Graphs. DOI: 10.1002/gps.3822.
- Quinn, Catherine; Anderson, Daniel; Toms, Gill; Whitaker, Rhiannon; Edwards, Rhiannon Tudor; Jones, Carys; Clare, Linda. Self-management in early-stage dementia: a pilot randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of a self-management group intervention (The SMART study). Trials. 2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1-18. 18p. 1 Chart. DOI: 10.1186/1745-6215-15-74.
- Robinson, Karen M.; Adkisson, Pam; Weinrich, Sally; Problem behavior, caregiver reactions, and impact among caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease; Journal of Advanced Nursing; Nov2001; Vol. 36 Issue 4
- Rognmo, Kamilla; Torvik, Fartein A.; Idstad, Mariann; Tambs, Kristian. More mental health problems after divorce in couples with high pre-divorce alcohol consumption than in other divorced couples: results from the HUNT-study. BMC Public Health. 2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1-11. 11p. 8 Charts. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-852.
- Smith, Amanda G.; Behavioral problems in dementia; Postgraduate Medicine; Jun2004; Vol. 115 Issue 6
- Sussman, Tamara; Regehr, Cheryl; The Influence of Community-Based Services on the Burden of Spouses Caring for Their Partners with Dementia; Health & Social Work; Feb. 2009; Vol. 34; Issue 1; p 29-40
- Tambling, Rachel B.; Wong, Alison G.; Anderson, Shayne R. Expectations About Couple Therapy: A Qualitative Investigation. American Journal of Family Therapy. Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p29-41. 13p. DOI: 10.1080/01926187.2012.747944.
- Tappen, Ruth M.; "Interventions for Alzheimer’s Disease: A Caregiver’s Complete Reference"; Health Professions Press.; Baltimore, MD.; 1997.
- Tzeng, Yu-Ling; Lin, Li-Chan; Shyr, Yea-Ing Lotus; Wen, Jung-Kwang; Sexual behavior of institutionalized residents with dementia – a qualitative study; Journal of Clinical Nursing; April 2009; Vol. 13; Issue 7; p 991- 1001.